Our second Club Focus interviewee is John Walls who plays with our AHL4 hurlers. John is a fantastic example of a player coming up through the ranks in the club as his second answer demonstrates.
1. Name, Team and Playing Position
John Walls, Intermediate Hurlers, Forward.
2. How long have you been playing for Cluain Tarbh?
About 15/16 years, since I was 4 or 5 years old.
3. Spaghetti Bolognese or Thai Red Curry?
Thai Red Curry any day.
4. Who were your childhood sporting heroes?
Robbie Keane and Damien Duff in the 2002 world cup. Savage goal scorers.
5. Connemara or Costa Del Sol?
6. What is your best memory of playing for Cluain Tarbh?
The 2013 Championship run, going all the way to the final against Scoil and beating them, best feeling ever when you beat local rivals in the most important match of the year.
7. Do you have any superstitions/routines before you play a match?
I always tape my left wrist before training and matches. It’s more of a routine than superstition as I’ve injured it a few times in the past.
8. If you could pick one place in the world to live where would it be?
Anywhere in the Caribbean.
9. Which player is the worst trainer on your team?
Darragh Bergin, he always tries to level lads but he comes off worst in most tackles. Think he needs to beef up.
10. What’s your favourite ground to play at?
It has to pitch 35 on a summer’s day, you just can’t beat it.
11. Do you have any nicknames?
With there being a few Johns on the team, I get called John, Johnny, Johnner and Waller to name but a few but none have stuck.
12. What match did you most enjoy playing in?
Last year’s Leinster championship qualifier against Trinity Gaels. I managed to score a side line ball at the end of injury time to win the match. It was an amazing feeling.
13. If you weren’t playing hurling what sport would you most like to play?
I would definitely be surfing.
14. Cinema or theatre?
15. If you were part of the rules committee what one thing would you change about the game?
I’d ban the wearing of white socks on top of the club/county socks.
16. Paperback or Kindle?
17. Who is the toughest opponent you’ve ever played against?
Richie Hogan with DCU Fitzgibbon team.
18. Where is your favourite holiday destination?
19. Any pieces of advice for juvenile players?
Work hard, want the ball more than the opposition and enjoy yourself.
20. What’s your favourite word or expression?
‘Ah gwan sure’